Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Feel bad about yourself...

that is what the media would like you to do. You are a fat lazy slob and we want to capitalize on your self hatred. That is the diet industry's new years resolution. I have struggled with my weight for years and I am fed up. I refuse to buy into the idea that I am a bad person because I am overweight. I choose to eat healthy and tivo all the shows I love so that I can fast forward through the plethora of weight loss ads. There is no answer in a pill. We all know what we need to do but with all the crap that is going on in the world, who wants to spend their life thinking about everything that they put in their mouth. Not me. I just want to be happy and healthy. For years I have felt that the only way that I can truly be happy is to be thin. Sure, it wouldn't hurt my self esteem, but what about all of the other things in my life?

The answer is; I am truly blessed. I have Eric, he is a brilliant, tender, funny, sexy man and my best friend. We make and awesome team and though marraige isn't easy, we still have fun together. I have Jake, who not only changed my life when he was born, but still challenges me to be a better person every day. He makes us so proud. He is really becoming an amazing person. I have my wonderful family. The true foundation of my life. The people that have been there for me though all the tough times. Thank you to you all.

I refuse to let these extra pounds get me down anymore.

So here is my plan; I am going to use this blog to keep you all updated with my life, but also explore what it means to eat healthy. Like Eric's blog, there will be recipes and pics, but also healthy snacks and alternatives to my favs.

Let me know if you try anything posted here and feel free to make suggestions. Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

Eric Soderstrom said...

Fresh ground pepper?

Congrats on getting your blog up! But I have to warn you - it can be addicting.

I am proud to be the first comment on your blog.

Love you.

Ted Seymour said...

Rachel. How sneaky of you to have a blog and not let anyone know! At least me.

I love what you are saying about food and image and the media and diets and how it all feeds into a frenzy of self-hatred. It's all about being healthy and happy. I salute you in being public with these thoughts and also in breaking away from old ways of being/thinking and into new ones.

As you know, I've been moving towards eating healthier and I'm really loving it. Just went to my third Raw Food potluck and brought some sunflower seeds that I sprouted made into a salad with some seaweed and a marinade.

I do see how I eat much more poorly when Im not feeling as good about myself. Trying to may more attention to that.

Happy for you and fully in support.