Saturday, February 20, 2010

I Want Part 2

“I’m no crazy creep, I’ve got it coming
To me because I’m not satisfied
The hunger keeps on growing
I eat too much
I drink too much
I want too much
Too much…” Dave Matthews Band

Why do we feel entitled? In my search for understanding the wanting this keeps coming up. Why do we deserve? What have I done to deserve this? Why do we feel like we deserve what we get, don’t deserve that, I am owed, cutting corners to get what we want, taking no chances, not doing the hard work, not looking inside, outside, all around for what is right in us all along. All I really want now is me. Healthy, happy me. All that does not come in a box a pretty cellophane wrapped plastic all shiny and new, drawing me in with its false joy and empty promises. Everything that does not come in a pill, capsule, tablet, computer, cell phone, website, magazine, shiny new thing. Love is the only real answer. I have to love me, every ounce of me, this is me accepting me right now, and I deserve it.

1 comment:

Ted Seymour said...

I love it Rachel. You are raising important questions and I think it was Rilke who said something about the importance of "living the questions."

We do tend to feel entitled. It's the life of the ego, or the false self. The closer and closer we get to something/someone who is more truly us inside, the less power the desire of grasping for the external seems to have. It's all about the questions and the awareness, feeling how empty is makes us feel, how in a deep place it really doesn't provide satisfaction.

Just keep being curious (in my opinion one of the most powerful tools we have) and see what unfolds.

I'd be curious to hear more about the daily struggles or changes in awareness around this. When the craving arises, why it did, what did you do, how did it feel, etc.

Love indeed is the answer, love for self for sure, but also a love for wanting to know, to understand.